Welcome to Reception and Year One- Autumn 2018!
Reception and Year One!
Meet our class
This year we have 21 children in our class, 6 Reception and 15 Year One children. The staff that are working in this class are Miss Shimmin (class teacher), Mrs Kirkbride (HLTA), Mrs McCarthy (STA).
Our goal is to support children in becoming confident, independent and creative individuals.
Our Reception Curriculum
There are seven main areas of learning in the early years. These areas are taught in a number of ways. They can be taught as individual subjects or in a cross curricular approach. At our school children learn through formal sessions and through play.
The seven main areas
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Understanding of the world
- Expressive arts and design
In reception and year one we have a new theme each half term.
This half term our theme is…
Travel and Journeys
What are you learning about this half term?
- We have a large classroom which has several learning areas. Some of which are the home corner, book corner, role play area, creative area and the construction area. Other resources are easily accessible and are changed regularly.
- We have many ICT facilities such as computer, iPads, programmable toys, a plasma screen and interactive whiteboard.
- Children are able to choose a range of media and materials to inspire their creativity.
- We have a safe outdoor area where children can access several resources such as the large bikes and cars, small climbing frames, slides and obstacle course equipment. Under the canopy are the sand and water trays.
- The class benefits from having a large cloakroom. Reception and year one class have their own toilet facilities inside the classroom which are easily accessed.
All children should wear the school uniform (white polo shirt, grey skirt/ trousers and red school jumper). Reception should also bring a PE kit (white t-shirt, black shorts and black pumps) to school each Monday. PE kits can be taken home on Friday to be washed.
Children are provided with a healthy snack at playtime. If children want to bring their own snack to school then they should bring only fruit or vegetables.
We are very thankful for all the support we receive from parents. In reception and year one we ask parents to support children with homework. We ask that children read each night and practice their phonics sounds. Year One have weekly spelling to learn.
We have learning journeys which we encourage parents to use as one form of communication with school.
Parents are welcome to speak to the class teacher about any issues they may have.
All forms for reception places should be completed by the January of the year your child should start school. If you need any help with your forms or would like to have a look around the school please do not hesitate to contact school.